Saturday, March 5, 2011

2-year old facials

I love candles. I love the way they can transport you to a special memory. I tend to enjoy fruity smells the best...Macintosh apple, concord grape, cranberry orange...and my ultimate favorite: Napa Valley Orange.

I've learned over the years that you don't always have to burn the candle to get the fragrant smell in your home. I keep a small jar of Napa Valley Orange by my bedside and it takes me to another place when I rest my eyes.

My two year old was extremely playful when I put him down for his afternoon rest yesterday. I got tired of going into the room to tell him to go back to bed, so I scooped him up into my arms and put him into my bed. I figured that a room sans toys would more appealing to sleep. I left and began taking care of things around the house. When I returned to check on him...I froze at the door.

My fair skinned boy was covered in an orange slime that looked like the inside of a pumpkin. It was matted on to his face, eye lashes, hair, and clothes. As I got closer, I got a strong whiff of Napa Valley Orange. Then he gingerly raised the jar and said, "YUM!" I looked at the incredible mess and couldn't help but laugh. I motioned for him to come into my arms and then held him out like he was a biohazard disaster. I started the bath and began to work the orange mess off of his body.

Who would have thought that two year old boys like fruity facials.

P.S. If you ever need to get candle wax out of fabric, you just scrap off the dried wax and then wash it in warm soapy water. I managed to salvage my sheets and his clothes using this method. (big sigh of relief)

9 comments:

  1. And that's what life is like with a 2 year old,the unexpected! Good test of trouble shooting,
    bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I love the descriptive smells - and the picture of your boy covered in the orange goo! Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got to love the kids, don't you? I remember when my youngest was about that same age. She found a jar of vaseline and smeared it over every single thing in her bedroom. What a mess! We found vaseline for a year afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I motioned for him to come into my arms and then held him out like he was a biohazard disaster."

    I absolutely love this line. I personally like knowing that I'm not the only one who does this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me LOL. What great imagery, sounds like he is also fond of Napa Valley Orange!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny!! We haven't had anything like that happen with us yet, but I'm sure we're not out of the woods yet! Love the biohazard line. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you've got a photo and a blog post for eternity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If there's one thing you learn from kids, it is how to get unusual fluids out of bedsheets :) Oh, and how to love someone even if he is the messiest, most mischievous thing around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Elizabeth,
    You have recorded the slice with detail and humor. Biohazard line was may favorite too. You will have more of these situations. Wait till he finds a lipstick. I like how calmly you handled the situation.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete