Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Acts of Kindness...sorta

My boys play nicely most of the time...they are brothers, so I can't expect it to be ALL the time. Yesterday had me laughing out loud though.

My youngest (J) was determined to not have a nap, so he was pretty crabby by the time my oldest son (T) got home from school. J just wanted to curl up in my arms and whine. It was one of those kind of days. I curled up on the sofa with my alligator teared son while my oldest kept making trips upstairs. The first trip was for J's silk (a necessity for cranky days) and a cozy blanket. He tucked J in and gave him a quick squeeze. "Sweetie, that was so nice of you", I said with a melting heart. "I'm just being a good big brother", he quickly replied, and off he went for another trip upstairs. My heart just swelled to see my boys interacting so nicely. Isn't this what every mom wishes for?

When he stomped down the stairs the second time, he was cradling some of J's favorite stuffed animals. Again, I mentioned what a generous and kind gesture this was. T smiled at me and said, "Can I get a sticker for that? At school, Mrs. F gives us stickers to put on a chart for when we are kind to others." So THAT is why the acts of kindness were flowing today. In my sweetest teacher voices I said, "I'll talk to dad about getting you a sticker chart. Look at your brother and how happy he is right now...that's all because of you. Doesn't that make you feel good inside?" He crinkled up his nose, smirked and replied, "Yeah, but I'd really like a sticker too."

I guess that I should just be thankful that acts of kindness were flowing in our house for the day....well sorta!

1 comment:

  1. I can just hear that "sweetest teacher voice" and maybe just a hint of clenched teeth? But you know, I don't think it was all about the stickers - those were very sweet gestures.

    ReplyDelete