Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mr. Terupt

Today is a late post for me. I've been attacked by the wicked virus that is floating around our town. The sore throat, achy body, and need to hold the couch down happened a few days ago. I love weekends at our house because we tend to lounge a bit and just relax. Today was beautiful outside but my head didn't want to leave the soft cushion on the couch. Today was a reading day.

I finished up The Lost Hero by Mr. Riordan. That man can do no wrong when it comes to writing. He is just a genius. Then I picked up Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea. I've heard wonderful things about this book and it's been waiting in my stack for almost a month. I settled in with my furry blanket, glasses, and foot warmer (my cat). As I cracked the spine open, I became a bit jittery. Here we go....

Before I begin, I must state that I am a slow reader...I call it one who likes to savor every moment. I finished this book in a few short hours, it just pulls you right in.

What a wonderful story of a teacher who inspires students to be the best people they can be. I smiled, cried, and rejoiced throughout the story. The characters pulled at my heart strings as I become more acquainted with each one. This is a story that makes you want to be a better teacher...one who is patient, inspiring, thought provoking, compassionate, and consistent. I hope that I am all of these things in the classroom, and that someone feels the same way about me as they do about Mr. Terupt.

Before I began writing this post, I checked my school email and was excited to find two letters from two of my past students. Asking how life was treating me and what book recommendations I had for them. We inspire students everyday and hopefully make their lives better. This book reinforced how much I love teaching and how influential one person can really be. We all have at least one teacher who we will always remember. Who is that teacher for you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry it was a 'sick' day, but it seems that you enjoyed some parts of it. Thank you for telling about the book. I had heard it was good, but not much more, so I will put it on the wish list. You threaded the story well through the post, creating a cozy setting, telling us about you as a reader, giving good review of the book, & ending a bit about a teacher whose students still keep in touch - you! What a nice wrapping up of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you move from the feeling sick to a reading day, then get us ready for a review of Mr. Terupt, get us hooked (I will certainly read the book after such a review), and connect it sweetly to your own teaching life. I need some more time to answer your question. You got me thinking.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete