Thursday, March 17, 2011

Super Heroes Away!

It all started with a silk!
It all started with my little one and his silk. They are inseparable and the moment silk started to become a cape, I knew it was time for me to get busy. J started to use silk as a superhero cape a few weeks ago. He would raise one hand up in the air and yell "Super Hewo!" Were did this superhero passion come from? I don't know, but I am tickled pink to oblige his request to become a 2-year-old super hero.

I am in no way a handy lady with the sewing machine but I do know someone who is. I walked into her classroom with the sweetest smile I could muster, and asked if she would be willing to sew two capes for me if I did all of the initial leg work. She quickly said yes and I did a little dance on the way out the door. Let the work begin!

Mojo did his part to help!
First step was to find a pattern that I could use without having to purchase it (the Internet is a wonderful thing). Not a problem, I found Puking Pastilles amazing pattern and got to work. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist so it took some time to find the perfect fabric and get the applique just right. The boys eagerly watched as I carefully cut the pieces out and ironed each section so it would be perfect for my little heroes.

The end result is a happy boy
and an adorable cape!
After all the prep was done, I carefully put the pieces into a Ziploc bag and delivered it to my dear friend. The very next day, she delivered our masterpieces. My little one hasn't spent a second without his SuperJ cape. He rubs the silky side on his cheek and soars through the house with BOTH hands up in the air, yelling "I'm a Super hewo, SuperJ!" I can't help but beam at his excitement in this small endeavour.

Now if I can just keep him from jumping off of things, life will be perfect. I can't wait for his brother to get home so I can deliver his too. What a great St. Patty's Day surprise.

                                           Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!

3 comments:

  1. What fun! Kids love being the hero. Sounds like your boys are the super heroes of your life. Love the phrase "tickled pink to oblige" - made me smile. More adventures ahead. :)MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Your excitement of making the capes a reality oozes through the writing. Love the helpful cat! Fun super hero times are ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too adorable! There just isn't anything comparable to a child's imagination and verve for life. I love the pictures you've posted with the story. It breathes a different kind of life into the post. So glad they have their capes and can save their worlds. Enjoy watching them imagine!

    ReplyDelete