Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Why Won't My Dog Eat?

My dog is elderly in the eyes of the vet but is still a baby to me. She is an 8 1/2 year old husky who has become a bit fickle in her "old age." I have noticed that she isn't eating much of her food at breakfast or dinner. We have changed her kibble and wet food with no luck. I quickly jumped to the worst possible conclusion and was fearful that she was getting sick or had some rare disease. I tend to over react sometimes but today may have calmed my worries a bit.

My 5 year old moves a little slowly in the mornings even with a set routine and plenty of scaffolding. He has learned to get his own breakfast so Mommy can try to squeeze in a shower in the morning. We picked up the new Yoplait Splitz yogurt (I know, nothing like a sugar fix in the morning) and my boys couldn't wait to try them. As I was getting ready this morning, my 5 year old ran past the bathroom still in his pj's. The clock screamed 7:50...only 15 minutes before we needed to be in the car and on our way. My blood pressure began to rise as I got into panic mom mode. I quickly got the children dressed and rushed everyone into the car. On my way out the door, I saw multiple yogurt containers on the dining room table but decided that it could wait until I got home. Yet another horrible confession but I'm getting to the point of the story.

When I opened the garage door after arriving at home, I was astounded to find little clear plastic cups all over my floor. Where in the world did those come from? Then I discovered the answer. On her bed, lay my dog with her big baby blues staring at me with a guilty look. A plastic cup was trapped under her paw like a struggling mouse. No wonder she isn't eating her dog food...she is waiting for my children to leave their scraps behind for her to devour. I guess that I'll be paying closer attention to the dining room table and floor in the near future.


10 comments:

  1. I was so anticipating that ending - wondering how you'd weave the two narratives together - and solve the mystery, too. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO funny! Love the way you tell a story. Your house sounds a bit like mine in the morning. Thanks for giving everyone a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your voice seems like it sounds just the way it would if you were telling the story aloud. That makes it friendly and fun to read. Love the image of the dog with the yogurt under his paw! Glad to hear you ended up with good news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can I say that hasn't been said? What a great story! Love the horrible confessions, we all have them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caught red-handed. Too funny! I'm sure her baby blues begged forgiveness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have an old dog who loves to get at scraps as much as she can! You have terrific voice in your writing - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great storytelling! Favorite line: "On her bed, lay my dog with her big baby blues staring at me with a guilty look." I wish my cat had a guilty look. She just looks disdainfully over her shoulder as she walks away from the scene of the crime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was hilarious!! Are you sure her eyes looked guilty?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So funny! I have a guilty confession: (since you were so open with yours) I almost wanted to stop reading after the first couple of lines, expecting there to be sad news about your poor dog!

    But I forged ahead, and I'm glad I did!! Great story! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photo! This is a great slice you captured about your dog. I miss my dog back in the states.

    ReplyDelete