Sunday, April 3, 2011

Movies and Books

My family and I went to see Hop at the movie theatre this weekend. A very cute movie and perfectly timed for Easter. We had drinks snug in there cup holders, popcorn nestled in there bowls, and candy bags resting next to my son's legs. We were set to go.

I am always eager to watch the trailers that open for the current film. I get excited when the green screen pops up announcing it's rating, and as I watch the story unfold, I try to anticipate what the movie title will be. It's almost like reading the blurb of a book...a quick look as they pull you into the story, making you want more.

My son and I were excited to see that Judy Moody is coming to the big screen. My 5 year old and I have started to read chapter books together at night. We've read some classics but just started to read Stink! (Stink is the younger brother of Judy Moody)together at night. T enjoys the short chapters, dislikes the sister, and loves the cartoons that follow the chapter. So when I recognized Judy Moody on the screen, I couldn't help but turn my eyes to watch T's reaction. When he realized that this movie has Stink in it, he turned to me and excitedly whispered, "Mom, that's the book we are reading! We just HAVE to see that." To which I smiled and agreed.

COPYRIGHT © 2011 Teaser-Trailer.com
 We were also excited to hear that Mr. Popper's Penguins would also be hitting the big screen. This is one of my favorite children's book so I am a little apprehensive if Hollywood can do it justice. They did such a horrible job with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I get upset when a good book is ruined by a horrible movie.

I sway back and forth on making books into movies. When it's done right, like the Harry Potter series, I can't tear my eyes off the screen. It's like the screen writer and director have been taking pictures in my brain. It flows just as smoothly as the book and the pictures matches the one I've formed in my mind. But there are also times when I cringe and can't help but judge the movie instead of enjoying it. Percy Jackson was the perfect example of this. My 3rd graders and I were so frustrated after watching the movie. Why did they need to change it and add stuff to it, my kids complained. I didn't have an answer because I was complaining about the same thing. When books are written well enough that they are considered for film, why change the basis of the story? Why feel the need to add to it?

I will go to both of these movies with hopes that they live up to my expectations. I will also eagerly await other "books gone to movies" like Hunger Games, Hugo Cabret, and The Maze Runner. Hopefully Hollywood can get these right.

1 comment:

  1. I see you have more at stake than I do with the book/movies, because of your children, but sometimes I just avoid them all together because I am often disappointed. I like that you made the topic personal & hope the Judy Moody pleases your son. It is special when a favorite book becomes a favorite movie, too.

    ReplyDelete