Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ride 'Em Cowboy

We went to visit my in-laws today. It is always so nice to see them and watch them with my boys. It's interesting to watch other people's reactions to your children. I'm so busy trying to make sure that they are behaving that I miss out on some of the small moments and memories that happen. I didn't miss this one though.....

I believe that we had just finished having my belated birthday cake (TO DIE FOR! Raspberry Dream cake with white chocolate shavings on top. YUM!) when all of the sudden, I heard thumping noises. My fork had just left my mouth, so I wasn't able to ask what was going on...which was probably a good thing.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see my oldest son pass through the doorway. At first, I thought that he was pretending to be a dog or possible a cat...why else would he be crawling on the floor? Then he moved a littler farther, his shoulders had shifted from one side to the next. Was his sore leg hurting him again? Those gosh darn growing pains have been taking their toll on him lately. Then I noticed that his shirt was pulled up against his neck. By this time, I had savored my mouthful of cake and was ready to ask what he was doing, and then I saw J...saddled up on his back.

My youngest had his legs dangling from the side of T. He shifted with T as he crawled along the hard floor. J's fingers were tightly gripped along T's collar while he tried not to slide off the back end of the "pony." A smile spread from one side of his face to the other. T's face was a carbon copy.

I couldn't help but let out a little chuckle and savor the moment. I just love when my boys play together. They truly are the best of friends...I hope that it always stays like this.

Now I just need to teach J how to tap his spurs into T's side....or maybe not.

10 comments:

  1. So much fun to hear about, & great to hear how kids are still just pretending stories & helping each other have a good time. I had a houseful of kids here Saturday, & two of the older ones, I suspect about your boys' ages, spent much of the afternoon climbing a tree in our front yard. We don't hear much about climbing trees anymore so it was a joy to watch their glee as they climbed higher and higher. Just as you savored the cake & the moment, I did too when I saw them play in the tree. Thanks for this small moment, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great to hear that they are the best of friends! I do hope they stay best of friends as they grow older too~! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true how you watch and wonder how other people react or interact with your kids. You want the world to see all that you see in them. Thanks for giving that glimpse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's just a flash like that - like a snapshot of the kids that will stick in your mind forever. I think this is a beautiful one - brothers having fun, playing together, being creative, being close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great that you were able to catch this moment and to savor it with your cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When your boys are young are some of the best moments ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a special memory to treasure! My boys are 16 and 18, and still best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love moments when your kids can just make you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun for them and for you. I adore moments like this-I am able to catch these kind of glimpses too!
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete