Saturday, March 9, 2013

Savoring Every Mouthful

Every birthday, my in-laws purchase a "fancy" cake from Tasha Nicole. I am not a big icing person but these cakes make my mouth water just thinking of them. Today was my day to savor this amazing dessert. Thank you Nonny and Papa for the birthday treat!

I was privileged to have gestational diabetes AGAIN with my third child. I was hoping that the third time was a charm..yeah, no such luck. With A's due date being so close to mine, we thought that we would postpone my speciality cake for after her due date so I could savor every mouthful without worrying about my blood test. I am SO glad that we waited.

This is not your average cake. For starters, the icing is a whipped white chocolate mouse icing. It is fluffy and light with just the right balance of sweetness. I hate when icing is super sweet and stiff. This icing literally melts on your tongue. The sweetness balances with a hint of white chocolate. Yum!

But it doesn't stop there. The cake is moist and not dense. You can have a big slice and not feel like your stomach has a sugary weight sitting in there. This particular cake is layered with a raspberry preserve. J calls it smooshed raspberries. The sweet, tang of the raspberries compliments the fluffiness of the white chocolate mouse icing.

As you can see, it was a bit of a hit in our house. I'll be keeping close tabs on the leftovers and may even have to sneak a late midnight snack tonight. YUM! I wish that I was able to send a sample to everyone. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely yummy! I had a birthday this week and would have loved a cake like this! And your description of the frosting makes my mouth water! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely tradition, yummy looking cake! I never knew there was such a thing as gestational diabetes!

    ReplyDelete