Friday, February 28, 2014

Milestones (1//31)

MILESTONES...the firsts that come and go throughout our lives. As a grown-up and mom of three incredible children, I tend to cherish these moments a little more. 

A year ago today, I wrote about one of the many milestones in my life...the birth of my daughter. She has blessed me with several firsts throughout this year. Last weekend we celebrated another one. 

Her first birthday!

I guess that I should start by stating that I have two boys who are 8 and 5 years old. I love having boys and relished in the dirt covered clothes, Thomas trains, and the loud crashing noises that assured me they were still alive and breathing. Having a little girl has been a completely different experience though. 

I am not a big pink fan...in fact, I'll do anything I can do avoid it. Finding first birthday supplies for a girl is impossible unless you want pink. So I bit the bullet and went all out in the pink department. We had a pink tutu, pink decorations, pink wrapping paper, pink gifts, and even a pink cake. My house was an advertisement for Pepto Bismol. 

My little lady was in her glory and beamed at everyone. She knew that today was her day to be the center of attention. Who are we kidding? She is ALWAYS the center of attention, but I digress. 

My favorite part of a first birthday is the cake smashing. The neat freak in me cringes at the thought of buttery icing speared over clothes, appendages, and furniture. The photographer in me loves capturing the runaway cake pieces that leap to their impending doom. My little lady was no exception to the rule. 


Her little sausage links carefully sank into the cotton candy layer of icing. Then the demolishing began. My boys tore out chunks of cake....oh, not this one. She went for a whole layer. Godzilla reached in and tore the top layer off her cake and giggled with absolute glee. This was easily the best game that she had ever played before. Thankfully the game was short lived and my buttery, icing covered girl was ready to play in the sink. 

Another milestone has been put into the books. I wish that there was a way to slow them down. I'll do my best to capture them in pictures, video, and ingrain them into my brain to the best of my ability. I'm cherishing each moment, knowing that it will only happen once for the first time.....milestones!

12 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Elizabeth. I have missed your magic with words. Happy Birthday to your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...it's hard to believe that she is already a year old....it seems like "yesterday" you were blogging about her infancy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pink looks even better smothered in frosting! I giggle in horror at your tradition….I could never have done that with my own two girls but oh how fun it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back Elizabeth! And thanks for sharing that adorable picture. Cake smashing is a rite of passage - messy, but essential. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet, Sweet story. I two have two older boys and a girl and it's all so different. You so captured it with your 'biting the bullet and going pink.' Continue to savor it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are here Elizabeth! Look at that baby girl!! Oh so adorable! I cringed as well during the cake digging, smearing, kind of eating birthday tradition too! Continue to write and capture these sweet memories that go way too fast! (I say this because I can't even begin to believe my girls will be 4 this year!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 4 years old already? Time sure has gone quickly, I remember you writing about their first birthdays.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful to hear from you Elizabeth & about your latest milestone-so hard to believe it's been a year! Such a darling your little girl is-even covered in cake! I have two young granddaughters so I understand about the pink-my daughter and I try, but it's not easy! I'll look forward to hearing more about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yea Elizabeth. I'm glad you are back! I love reading stories about your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your SOL and especially loved the description of your daughter tearing through her birthday cake! Thanks for sharing your milestone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a daughter and too sons. Time goes so fast doesn't it? I love the addition of your pink font.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just like you, I feel the same way with the colour pink. The colour is too pretty for me, I always defend myself that way. But I guess no one can avoid it with little girls around. What a way to document her growing, sharing it with the world! By the way, I love your treasure of words you used. Now, I need to work on mine.

    ReplyDelete