Saturday, March 15, 2014

Distractions of the Welcomed Kind (15/31)

It is that dreaded time of year again....report cards (dum, dum, dum).

It is something that is predictable three times a year and yet I dread it each and every time. It's not that I mind sharing information with parents. I actually love bragging about how well their children are doing and letting them know what still needs to be worked on. It's the fact that our report card does not match our standards. It is veg and requires you to think in the grey area instead of black and white. I don't do grey well when it comes to grades and data. It also requires me to write long comments so that parents have an understand of what the child does and does not know. It's not a quick process by any means. 

After putting little lady down for her nap, I got started plugging in grades. It went fairly smoothly due to discussions with my teammates about the data that we'd collected. Until I hit the grey areas. I hopped on Facebook and began messaging my teammate to see how she would approach these fuzzy areas. After a round of back and forth opinions, we decided that we should just meet at school with our writing pieces. 

I slipped out of the house and headed to work. When I arrived home, little lady was still asleep. I figured that I'd lock myself in the computer room and get to work. 

"Mom, can I have some snuggle time?", came a sweet voice. 

Do I stop and snuggle or do I state that mommy has a lot of work to do? 

"Sure sweetie, just a little bit and then Mama has to get back to work."

A few minutes turned into 30 before we heard peeps from upstairs. I lifted my 5 year old heat warmer off my lap and promised to be back in a flash. 

When I got to my little girls doorway, she was pants less and singing at the top of her lungs. I couldn't help but let out a giggle. She joined in and we laughed together for a few moments before I lifted her out of the crib and searched for her pants. She snuggled her head into the crook of my neck and my heart melted. 

Report cards will have to wait until after bedtime. I have some love bugs to snuggle. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this Slice! You captured the pull perfectly.... important work vs. cuddles with your love bug. Love the ending - report card s will have to wait!

    ReplyDelete