Sunday, March 30, 2014

Harry Potter (30/31)

photo  ©2010  Halle Stoutzenberger, Flickr
It has been a Harry Potter movie marathon weekend. My husband and I can't help but keep it on constant rotation all day long. These movies remind us of a special time together before our lives got busy with children. 

My husband and I had just started to date after the second book in the series came out. I was so excited to share this new, amazing series with him. You know how the early dating stage works, you're willing to try anything to get to know the person you love. Well, my non-reading husband was willing to give it a try. We would read them together at night, one chapter at a time. 

This ritual followed through the whole series. We pre-ordered books and read them together at night. It was the perfect way to finish the day and a great way to bond together. The last book came out when he was out to sea. I read it as quickly as I could and then sent it to him. We emailed and wrote letters back and forth about the twists and unexpected turns. 

I can't help but be flooded with these memories as I watch these movies. I watch the wonderment and excitement in my boys eyes as well. Maybe it's time to break out those well-loved hardbacks and start the tradition over again with the newer loves of my life. 

These books have easily withstood the test of time. I know that my boys will cherish them as much as my husband and I do. I'm sure that my little girl will have a wonderment and love for them when she is older too. I look forward to the next series that grabs generations of readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment